Wednesday, February 27, 2013

A new kind of Normal

I made it through my first round of chemo!  There were a few days I felt a little less then human but for the most part I was pleased that I was experiencing the lesser end of the possible side effects.
  
Yesterday was the beginning of round 2.  One of the side effects that I will get each time is a sensitivity to cold.  The first round I felt a little bit of that.. but this time it kicked up a notch or two.  Dave and I went out to lunch after I was through with the lab infusion.  I asked for a glass of water and the waiter brought the usual ice water.  I picked the glass up.. and got bit of tingling in my fingers.. when I sipped it.. I got a jolt in my mouth.. and I thought.. ok there it is.  Just what they told me could happen.  I asked for a straw and gave Dave some of the ice cubes but that was still too cold for my mouth.  I then asked the kind waiter if he would give me a glass of water without ice cubes and room temp.  which he quickly did.  It did the trick.  =)

When I got home .. I found that this sensitivity also came from touching things in the refrigerator and freezer.. so hot pads are now my new best friends.  This sensation should go away after a few days.. though as we go on it might last longer and longer.  If it lasts the whole two weeks then that medication will be switched to another one ... typically by round 8.

A big difference this time around is that I am not really experiencing the queasiness I did the first time around.  It could still happen this weekend. . but right now.. no queasiness.  Yay!

Which .. it seems that the worse symptoms will be there from days 3-7, but once again.. I have had bouts of some of them but nothing that I can not handle.

I am so grateful for the outpouring of love that has been extended to me and my family.  Becca has the brunt of the daily household chores etc.. and has been a trooper.  Thankfully there has been sweet angels of mercy that have come in from time to time to help her with the lively duo that rock our world at times... a couple of the cutest boys there is.  These angels have brought us meals, helped clean up and have entertained the boys.  It has been wonderful.   And the powerful prayers that have been given.. they are working! Thank you! 


1 comment:

  1. Hope the ordeal remains relatively minor! Thanks for the update.

    ReplyDelete