Monday, April 15, 2013

And now ....there has been 5!

Tomorrow I get to go on vacation from Chemo!

In the next 2 weeks there are family events much like at Christmas time that I do not want to miss and I am off for my adventures.   I had my fifth treatment last Tuesday and with this trip I will be postponing  my 6th till I return at the end of the month.   If all is going well ..then I will be halfway through!

 I have found that through this journey that having things to look forward to and participate in (as one can) is such a great way to buoy up ones spirits.  One day I was contemplating this concept and I finally grasped the idea .. why does one go visit the sick and afflicted?  You can not cure them.. its kind of uncomfortable to see them not well...  and sometimes they are in such poor health they can not really respond to you.  Being such a healthy person my whole life.. I just did not get it.   What difference does it really make?

Well.. now I understand much better.  One can be like a water pitcher to a wilting plant.  A little sunshine to someone who has a little cloud over them.  Others can be a wonderful distraction to those who are struggling with anything in their lives.

I first experienced this for myself a little while after my first treatments.  A friend wanted to go out to lunch with me.  I was not sure how I would do.. but I decided to attempt it.  We went to Olive Garden and enjoyed their soup, salad and bread sticks.  As we talked I started feeling this weight come off of me and I felt sooo much better! 

My daughter and her 2 boys also served me so many times in this manner.  Where just being around them uplifted me and I was able to rise a little above the chemicals and side effects that has slowed me down in so many ways.   In the middle of March my daughter and her two boys were able to go back home and be reunited with their husband/Dad who has been serving in Afghanistan since July.  Dave traveled with them for a business trip in DC.   

That could have left me here by myself but my sister Karen came to be with me.  =)   Most people have more grand plans when they come to visit Alaska... hers was very simple.. she wanted to see for herself how I was doing and come help me in anyway she could.  So for the 10 days she spent her time uplifting and serving me.  My house sparkled.  What a wonderful time I had during a not so wonderful time. 

Others have brought in meals, books, videos.. and best of all their encouragement and smiles.   Text messages, phone calls and emails have also been a great source of upliftment.  =)  And.. Dave played a game with me that he does not like at all.  How nice is he?  As I said.. I never really understood what a difference these things can make till now. 

I seem to be going through an almost predictable cycle each 2 weeks as I have been having my treatments.   I get my treatment on day 1... then carry around a pack for another day and a half which drips more chemicals in me.  I started feeling a bit queezy.. and sometimes have other side effects also..  When I  go get the pack removed and I feel a bit of uplift from not having it to drag around but then its like I am brim full of all those liquids.

For the next few days my mind is hard to focus.. trying to answer questions is very laborious ..  and I feel a bit seasick... but then it starts to ebb.   As I go into the next week I start having longer periods of time that I feel great and try to accomplish a few worthwhile things.  I have learned to appreciate those days. 

When I return from my vacation.. I will be getting a virtual CT scan which is a little less intense then a Colonoscopy.. it takes pictures.. so they can see if my treatments are working.   When my doctor brought this up.. it was not my usual doctor but a rotating one.. and she said it just that way.. this needs to be done so we can see if the treatments are working or not.... and my first internal reaction was.. .What?  This could be all for nothing?? 

I calmed myself down and thought it through.. yes.. they had always said a percentage of people are not healed or cured .. or go into remission from these kind of treatments.   She did not say anything new... I just had not really thought about it all in that way.   However, I do not believe that I have anything to worry about.  My faith is such that I asked for and was given a Priesthood blessing from my husband and by my father .. both said in these separate blessings that my journey would not be easy but I would have many years of health to enjoy my family in.  I believe that those blessings came from a heavenly source that has more insight into my life then I do.   If I was not going to be healed I believe my blessings would have said so.   So I know that I will be ultimately okay.. and in the meantime.. you all help me be okay from day to day.  Thank you for your love, support and prayers!

Cya!! .. I am going on vacation!!!



7 comments:

  1. Thank you for the update. Your Oregon friends are cheering you on. And I have no doubt that, in addition to the many of us here who have enjoyed your friendship, you have left a trail of friends wherever you've been. So prayers from all over are rocketing up to heaven on your behalf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for recording your journey. The lessons you are leaning rom your difficult experience will help you as you continue to serve others and do the Lord's work. Sometimes our most difficult challenges comes with the greatest blessings. I appreciate your courage to take on this journey and I hope that God will allow you a long, healthy life serving your family and others. Take care. Enjoy yourself.

    Aloha!
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laurie,

    Good to hear the latest. Thanks for sharing your challenges and insight.

    Love, Jim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Laurie for your current update -it helps us to know what you are going through. When I gave you the priesthood blessing, I was given a glimpse of what you would be facing, but unless a person experiences such a thing themselves, it is hard to grasp what it will actually be like. Each person has their own experiences and usually they will be different for another person's. I began to think more about that when my Aunt Juanita died after a long life. She was able to maintain a good sense of humor until the day she left this earth life. I felt that was a great attribute and I prayed that I could acquire that in my own life. I used to dread hospitals, sick people, doctors, and the like, but I don't any more. I now feel at ease with doctors, even though they don't know all of the answers.I know they can do a lot of good,with their knowledge and with the Lord's help. They can't keep me alive forever and I wouldn't want them to while I'm in this mortal state. We didn't come here to remain in a mortal state, but to be tested and to acquire a physical body that can be resurrected when the time comes. What happens to us while we're in or out of the physical body is pretty much up to us. I feel you're learning some valuable lessons while you're in your present condition that will help you and those around you for the rest of your mortal life and in the life to come. I love you very much and I have been blessed to have you as a daughter.
    Your Dad.


    ReplyDelete
  5. Laurie,

    Thank you so much for sharing this. This is a beautiful post and I'm so glad you have family around. Glad you have a vacation and enjoy it to pieces! When you get back, I hope for good news for you. That this treatment is doing it's job and getting rid of this cancer. You are in my prayers.

    Love,
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laurie, Your courage and strength is amazing. Thank You for keeping us updated. You will continue to be in my prayers. I hope that you have a great break from all of this and that when you return you continue to do well with your treatments and get this past you. Hugs to you! Love ya, Leann Martineau

    ReplyDelete