Tuesday, February 12, 2013

One down ... 11 to go

I arrived at the oncologist office before 10am this morning.   It being my first treatment there was more paperwork to fill out, blood work and the staff to meet.  I loved loved the comfy easy boy chair. 

 My nurse attendant had a cute accent and a quirky sense of humor.    She had a lady bug watch on and said that she had about seven different character watches.  She helped me get set up and explained the steps to the procedure I would be getting.  It did not sound too bad...

The big room I was in had about 12 comfy easy boy chairs set up in a box formation  and by noon they were all filled with different people with different treatments going on.  One lady came and greeted me .. having been told by a mutual acquaintance that we would be there at the same time. 
Her treatment did not take so long but she said she would be going back again tomorrow.

Dave hung out with me and was able to get some work done from his computer.  I got to bring out my Kindle and began reading  "Edenbrooke" as the infusion went on complete with some crackers and juice.  I even had a little tiny nap too.

A lady from a place called "Great Land" came and explained the pack I would be taking home with me .. for the 46 hour infusion.  Its a interesting little gadget.. very portable. 

How do I feel?  No dramatic side effects so far.. but the expectation is that much of that will not kick in for a couple of days anyway.  The attending nurse kept encouraging me to keep an open mind and positive outlook because much of the healing process is not only physical.. its emotional and mental also.  That each treatment would be its own separate experience... so should be treated as such in my mind.   So yay!  One down .. well in 40ish hours.. one will be down..   and the aftereffects I will monitor for the next 2 weeks for the whole experience and give a report before my next treatment (Feb 26th).   

One little tender mercy...  in putting the needle in the port... my attending nurse was having a bit of a hard time for some reason.  She asked another nurse to come and check it out..  I said a little prayer that they would be able adjust it without much trouble.. and very quickly they got it on track and all was well.  She marveled several times how easy it was to adjust the needle, getting in its place and I smiled knowing that she had had some divine help.   Such a little thing but so sweet.  Thank you for your prayers!    They are a tremendous power.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for keeping us informed...glad today went well. Hope the rest of it goes as easily as possible. Some have to have few side effects, it might as well be you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knowing you, I think the oncology patients and staff needed someone to brighten their lives and so the Lord said, "Let's send Laurie." You are their tender mercy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update. I'm one who likes to know what is going on. I always pray for the best for my family members. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're praying for you!! What a positive attitude you have! By the way, I just read Edenbrooke last week - the BEST book I have read in a long time - enjoy it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,

    I have a quick question about your blog, would you mind emailing me when you get a chance?

    Thanks,

    Cameron

    cameronvsj(at)gmail.com

    ReplyDelete