Thursday, January 10, 2013

Last month I went in for a colonoscopy where they discovered a tumor in my colon, which is cancerous.  It was determined that I would benefit from having Colorectal surgery.  There are many colon resection surgeries.. mine will be a Sigmoid Colectomy.  I know little about what that is.. but it is explained to me that ... part or all of the sigmoid colon is removed.  The descending colon is then reconnected to the rectum.   If all goes well it will seal as it heals and there is great hope that I will have little trouble with that kind of cancer again and have little change in how my body works right now.  However, because there was evidence of mutliple small-mouthed diverticula (?) in the descending colon,  I will be going to consult with an Oncologist for further treatment on Jan. 29th. 

This is all new to me and I am not sure I have written the specifics correctly.  My family has been relatively cancer free so I have not paid much attention to the details of how one goes about making the best decisions about how to treat cancer.  I have since consulted with a few better informed people and they have giving me encouraging advise.  It seems that this journey I will be taking, will be an individual one yet there is a connection that all cancer patients have.  I hope to be as strong in character as some of those of this special what I will call .. a "Brother and Sisterhood" of cancer patients.   Go team Go! 

There are some educated guesses that are pretty standard, to what will happen on my journey..then there are other aspects that I will have to wait and see about..

Like.. how long will I be in the hospital next week?  The best guess I have been given:   Maybe up to a week..depending on how my body heals.
Will the cancer come back?   I will have to wait and see what all they find during surgery etc..
What will I be able to do and not do as I go through the healing process?
What kind of help will I need?
How long before I can resume my normal activities?  .. maybe a month.. maybe longer?
Is chemo a good thing? or is there better methods.. or maybe a combination of natural and chemo that will be less evasive and take care of those other polyps just as well?

Anyway...  surgery will commence on Monday Jan. 14th after 7:30am. 
I am so grateful for the outpouring of support and love that has been directed to me and my family.  Thank you so much. 

10 comments:

  1. Laurie, we will be sending you all kinds of strength on Monday for your surgery. Rob's mother also had colon cancer. We hope the very best for your health and recovery. Sending love to such a sweet woman!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck to you and yours. I'm glad they're getting going on it so quickly. You and your medical team will be in our prayers and in the temples. Thanks for doing this and sharing...never know when you'll help someone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your prayers and thoughts Connie!

      Delete
  3. Are you having your treatments in Anchorage? I'm sorry to hear you are having this trial, but trust all will go well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, all will be done in Anchorage at this point. Thank you!

      Delete
  4. Laurie, we will be thinking of you very much, as we have since we first heard of your condition. You are in our prayers and feel you will be protected. I will be in a dentist chair a couple hours after your ordeal begins to have a crown installed on an implanted post in my upper jaw. It's amazing to me what modern technlogy can do for a person, but the Lord's hand must be in all of it. I know his will be with you and your "medical team". We love you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying for you all day :) I know you will bring sunshine to those who take care of you - they are lucky to have you as a patient. Lots of love!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beccy. There was one of the aides in the hospital that happened to notice my "bible" and commented on it. I explained that it was actually a Book of Mormon. She said that she had been a Mormon and others were wanting her to come back. After that, when she came into my room, she always commented how happy I was and attributed it to my being a Mormon. hehe

      Delete
  6. Surgery went well. Laurie will blog when she can. From Dave...Laurie's husband

    ReplyDelete