Saturday, January 19, 2013

After Surgery

Last Monday my surgery took a bit longer then they thought it might.  After taking care of the effected area in the colon the surgeon discovered 2 spots in my liver.  One medium and one small.  It was decided, after consulting with Dave (and I guess they talked to me too)  that since I was doing well with the surgery that I could stand to continue on getting those out also and not come back for a second surgery.  I do remember the pain guys talking to me about having a epidural put in .. but not much else.  For Dave it was a much longer procedure, since surgery started about 7:30am and he did not get to see me again till after the recovery room, about 4pm.  I just remember waking up in my hospital room, squinting at the clock.. and thinking.. wow.. its later then I thought it would be.  

My next days in the hospital were a round of temp checking, blood pressure and other such stuff testing by very nice nurses and aides.  I was without pain and had periods of wakefulness.   Oh!  and the moment when they said I could go off the liquid diet and have real food!  Now that was sweet.   I to say how much I appreciated the phone calls, the flowers, text messages and the visits that came.  =) 

Since my body was healing well and was not having many side effects the doctor felt confident in sending me home yesterday. (Friday, Jan 18th).  Here I am trying to continue to rest, getting weaned off the pain meds and gearing up for the my appointments on Jan. 29th and Jan 30th. 

On Jan 29th I will be meeting with my oncologist and hopefully getting a good understanding on the plan to keep my body cancer free.  Since my liver was infected then there might be a more aggressive plan given then what was originally anticipated.  For me, I have not known what to anticipate, so I think I can keep a open mind to what all needs to be done. 

Yes, there are moments that I want to feel sorry for myself.. and do the ... why me? why now? kind of thing.  After 8 babies without even a stretch mark on my tummy.... and now have had this row of staples from belly button to chest (because of my liver and not even the colon)... I deserve to right?
But.. I stop myself... I believe in a bigger, broader picture of things.. and I have learned throughout my life.. that something good will come from all this.  I feel so grateful to you my friends and family because you help me to stay centered and focuses on what is good in this life.  Thank you for being part of my journey!

3 comments:

  1. Thank for this treatise on your treatment to date. I am thankful that we live in a time when the healing arts are more positive and almost miraculous. It was good to talk to you today as we have-which is quite miraculous in itself. We love you and we pray for your recovery, so that you can continue to be a force in you family and for those around you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad they were able to work on your liver also...glad they are taking care of things. Good luck, stay strong, you're from sturdy stock...you're in a lot of prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laurie,
    Thanks for the update.....
    You are in our prayers!
    J

    ReplyDelete